Walk Live Westchester!

Eat Your Water  

 Experts Agree: Drinking water -- either sparkling or flat and perhaps with a twist of citrus -- is a great non-caloric way to satisfy your thirst. But did you know that you can eat your water too?  

Approximately 80% of our water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, and the other 20% comes from food. While 20% may not seem like a lot of fluid to get from food, many common food items are mostly water. Here are some foods with high water content according to the American Dietetic Association:
 

 Food

Percentage 

Water

 

Food

Percentage

 Water

Lettuce (1½ cup)

95%

 

Orange juice (3/4 cup)

88%

Broccoli (1½ cup)

91%

 

Carrot (1½ cup)

87%

Grapefruit (1½ cup)

91%

 

Yogurt (1 cup)

85%

Milk (1 cup)

89%

 

Apple (one medium)

84%

Eating foods with high water content can help dieters by increasing the fullness factor. The weight loss benefits of water stem from several facts:

  • Foods that incorporate water tend to look larger.
  • The higher volume of these foods provides greater oral stimulation.
  • Most important, when water is bound to food, it slows down absorption and lasts longer in the belly.
Try eating your water...an apple a day, may help keep calories away! 

Source: The Wonders of Water, www.WebMD.com

Want to learn more? To get more tips, join the mailing list for our free, no obligation newsletter!